The first reference to Martock can be found in the Domesday Book of 1086. At the time of the Domesday Book, it was the only parish in the Martock Hunfred.
Martock, historically, is a market town. Even today, a farmer’s market is still held on a monthly basis in the centre of Martock. The bulk of the economy seems to rely on traditional crafts too. You can find stonemasons, woodworkers, and silversmithing companies working within Martock.
One of the most notable buildings in Martock is the Treasurer’s House. Is was constructed from local hamstone in the 13th Century. It is currently owned by the National Trust and is open for visits.
Many people may know of Martock due to it being the home of Burrow Hill Cider Farm, where some amazing cider is brewed in a traditional manner. Each October, this large cider brewery buys in a lot of apples from orchards in the surrounding area. People can visit Burrow Hill Cider Farm on certain days of the year.
The market for Martock was traditionally held on Church Street. The hamstone Market House, which stands on the same street, was built in 1753. it has undergone a lot of renovations over the years, and has recently received several grants to ensure that it continues to look brilliant.
Next to the River Parrett is the Parrett Iron Works. This harks back to the time when ironworking was major income for the village of Martock. These buildings still exist, and play host to several small workshops and some cottages.
The Church of All Saints dates back to the 13th Century. Despite the historically small size of Martock, the Church of All Saints is the second largest church in Somerset. It is particularly well-known for the beautiful hand carved wooden sculptures found in its eaves. The building is currently a Grade I listed building by English Heritage.
Mattock used to be on the route of the Great Western Railway, but the train station has long since closed down.